Friday, August 19, 2011

Feature Interview - 365 Days: Star of the Sea

Continuation of the 365 feature, next up the lovely Star of the Sea :)

Sensual 19/365
Day ninteen

1. Fill me in on your background, where are you from and how did you get in to photography?

I'm from Houston, Texas and I've lived there my whole life. I've just moved to college and it's really great! I can't wait to really start my whole new life here in Georgetown. For the photography thing, my brother is a photographer and so are some of my other relatives, so I've always been around it. I took a photo I class my freshman year in high school and I worked with film a lot, but my passion really didn't start until I got my own camera. After that, inspiration and ideas exploded :)

Awaiting Your Arrival 31/365
Day thirtyone

2. What made you decide to start a 365?

Well I always thought it would push me to take a picture every single day and inspire me to do better and more than I have already. Which it did!

I Did What You Said, What Now? 43/365
Day fourtythree

3. What is your process when taking your 365 from getting ideas to editing?

Well I usually get an idea somehow or I just start shooting with some amazing light and then after that things start rolling and the inspiration flows out of me. I don't do a lot of editing really, just some touch ups and a slight edit to the curves and contrast are about it. I don't like changing the natural look too much.

Body Shapes And Texture.
Day fiftysix

4. What are your tools of the trade?

Well I shoot with a Canon EOS XTi with a 50mm f1.4 and it's the best! I edit with Adobe Lightroom. I also use a tripod and a remote for most of my pictures.


63/365
Day sixtythree

5. Why do you think people are drawn to starting and following 365's?

I think a lot of people see the attraction by looking at their inspirational photographers do a 365 and then follow suit. It's easy to see from most people's streams that have done a 365 that by taking a picture every single day it pushes all of your limits and ultimately makes you a better photographer.


Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean 89/365
Day eightynine

6. What is your least favourate 365 shot you've taken so far and why?

Hmm, that's a hard question:

Faded 6/365
Day six

This one because it was in the early stages of the project and I feel like it's not really who I am as a photographer. It has too much editing and whatnot, and it's not my style anymore.

7. What is your favourate 365 shot you've taken so far and why?

This is one of my favorites:

Bad Habits 92/365
Day ninetytwo

I was feeling so great that day and I know it's not spectacular, but it reminds me of a really happy time in my life.

8. What is your favourite 365 shot taken by another photographer?

Oh god, I'd have to say anything that Alexis Mire posts: Link
She's my favorite, really.

Over The Ponds 94/365
Day ninetythree
9. What are some of your favourate things :)?

Huh favorite things... movies, video games, hanging with friends (of course), staying up late, Smart Water, green tea, and snuggling.

147/365
Day onehundredndfourtyseven

10. What is your best tip to taking a striking photo?

Basically, putting yourself entirely into that photograph. It doesn't matter if the world thinks it is good or bad, as long as you know that it represents you well as who you are then it's beautiful.

179/365
Day onehundredandseventynine

11. Your 365 seem to incorporate your surroundings and the elements, is this a big part of your style?

Yes. Most definitely. I love nature and taking pictures outside. I have a lot of trouble in the summer getting motivation since it's so hot here, but I try my best! And my room, it just has to be a relaxed area with no one around where you can pour yourself into your photography.

194/365
Day onehundredandninetyfour

12. Do you feel guilty for not finishing yours?

Sort of. Not really though. That time in my life was hard. I had a lot of other things going on and the 365 became the lowest on my priority list, so I don't really feel bad for setting it aside.

195/365
Day onehundredandninetyfive

13. Who's 365 has been the most inspiring to you?

Again, Alexis Mire.

213/365
Day twohundredandthirteen

14. What are some of your favourite films, books and musicians?

Films: anything with Keira Knightly, Pride and Prejudice, Fight Club, anything Alfred Hitchcock, yeah :) Books: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Fight Club, Rant, Pride and Prejudice. Musicians: Cage the Elephant, Manchester Orchestra, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and lots of others.

236/365
Daytwohundredandthirtysix

15. What has been your biggest achievement so far with your photography?

Making it to front page on Explore more than twice :) it was a great achievement.

242/365
Day twohundredandfourtytwo

16. Do you think it’s hard to be original within the 365 project? How do you keep your ideas original and fresh?

Sometimes you can't keep everything original. It's hard, but when you do, it's like the world is perfect, really it is. When you get that one shot that makes all of the hassle worth it, it's liberating. And it is hard to stay original, and it's easy to borrow ideas, but change them up to make them your own.

256/365
Day twohundredandfiftysix

17. Which 365 shot was the most difficult to capture?

Sleep Spent 72/365

To get that lighting right, good god, it took me forever.

18. Do you often change a lot of the original photo in Photoshop?

No, not at all, I'm a naturalist :)

259/365
Day twohundredandfiftynine

19. Do you think you have an original style that is you own?

Yeah, I guess, some people say I do, but there are always inspirations from people that show through my work.

260/365
Day twohundredandsixty

20. What is your favourate time of year to take photos?

Winter and Spring, they are so great for weather and look.

264/365
Day twohundredandsixtyfour

21. If you could photograph any person alive or dead who would it be and why?

Keira Knightly, she is my hero, seriously, it's an obsession

274/365
Day twohundredandseventyfour

22. Give us the skinny, what's the next big project you've got coming up?

I have NO idea. I'm in college now so maybe something new ;)

Day twohundredandseventynine

23. Which actor would play you in the film of your life?

I think you will see a pattern here... Keira Knightly :)

293/365
Day twohundredandninetytwo

24. What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid?

A film director, I really wanted to be one, but eh, it's changed.

310/365
Day threehundredandten
 
Thank you so much :) Check out more of her work here
 

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, Mare. Learned some stuff I didn't know already, which is cool.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete