Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Feature Interview - Life Is Art: Taya Iv

Hello again, continuing on with my new feature, here is the adorable and extremely lovable Taya!

'I like to keep the natural side to them and let people see that they can make something simple look beautiful'


1. Fill me in on your background, where are you from and how did you get in to photography?
 
I was born in Russia on a cold winter's day. I lived there for a while and then my family and I moved to Europe.
I was into photography since I was a small child- my mum told me stories of me sitting at home, looking through magazines, and carefully looking through photographs of people I never met. She said I was fascinated by them- they never knew I was into photography, and we didn't have a camera then so my passion didn't emerge until later on. At the age of 11 I started browsing the Internet and photography websites- at 12 I got a camera phone and started taking 'Myspace-type' photographs, edited heavily with online free editing programs. I liked the photographs- for some reason it made me happy to click the little button with the camera drawn on it. I didn't know then I was into photography.
By the age of 13 I got a digital 5 mega pixel camera- I joined websites such as Deviant Art, and found out many beautiful ways of taking photographs. Through there I met many great friends who have helped me since then, and I learned that photography was a beautiful passion to have that would help you grow and become a better person. At 14 I received a 10 mega pixel camera (which I still own and use now). I started shooting models, myself, and doing a series of projects such as the 365 project which I successfully finished a few months ago.
My life hasn't been the same since, it's been a beautiful roller coaster of pictures and dreams.




'It's been a beautiful roller coaster of pictures and dreams'

2. Who has influenced you the most in terms of photography?

Photographers that I met through Deviant Art, such as Felicia Simion and Kalea Molloy. There were many others that I caught glimpse of on then, but they left the website and I cannot find them any more. They never knew me then yet their photographs made me absorb the biggest amount of inspiration I could ever feel.
Then came bloggers such as Nirrimi Firebrace and Kitty Gallannaugh- they made the biggest impact on me- their constant pace of beauty made me motivated that I could do the same one day. The way they lived filled me up with excitement, and all I can do now is wish and try my best to be the same as them one day.
To be honest, everybody plays a little part in my photography life, and everyone leaves a little print of inspiration in my mind, they all form this beautiful circle of united happiness that shows in my photographs.


3. What is your favourite style of photography (Self portraiture? Fashion? Documentary)?

Conceptual. This may not fit into any category yet no matter what I shoot, I have to add a concept, a story, an emotion that I want the viewer to also feel when they see my photograph(s).




'Sometimes I get a letter from a thousand miles away and then suddenly some idea pops into my head'

4. What is your process when taking photo's, from getting ideas to editing?

This is fun! 
I honestly receive ideas from anywhere. Sometimes I get a letter from a thousand miles away and then suddenly some idea pops into my head, which may absolutely have nothing to do with the letter. It's strange to explain, I have weird connections with things around me yet I admire the amount of inspiration I can take in and use for other photographs. 
My source of inspiration would be photography websites and the talented people in them- their work always inspires. Just before a shoot I'll sit and browse the Internet, not to steal ideas, but to mainly look through and admire the photographers' works. This somehow helps me get the courage and inspiration to use in the shoot.
When I take photographs I try to really get into the role I'm playing for the concept. Sometimes it's very easy in self-portraiture, especially if I'm upset. I'll take the camera, turn on the timer, and just stand there and strike different poses that fit in with what I'm feeling. Sometimes it's harder and I have to pretend I'm happy, but in my opinion the most challenging photographs will always result in great photographs.
As for editing, it really varies. When I take self-portraits I quickly add some curves and color balance, and voila! The photograph is done.
For shoots with other people I take longer if they request special types of effects to be done, although I'm not a whole fan of overly editing my photographs- I like to keep the natural side to them and let people see that they can make something simple look beautiful.





5. What are your tools of the trade?

I use a Canon Powershot SX10IS, my Wacom tablet and pen, and my restless mind!



'in my opinion the most challenging photographs will always result in great photographs'

6. Where do you hope to go with your photography?

My absolute dream is to go to France and go to a photography university somewhere there. It's a beautiful country with many available models and brilliant people. I have friends there who I longingly want to meet and live next to, and it's just a huge dream that I hope to fulfill by the time I finish school. I also love French itself, and am currently studying the French language (and can speak it, fun!).


7. Why do you think people are drawn to photography?

It's a beautiful hobby/job to take. I think they're drawn to it because they know they can have the opportunity to capture their family and friends forever, with just clicking the button. For me personally, I was drawn to photography because I realized I could capture someone's soul with my camera, and that felt like a huge responsibility to me and I was ready to take it with all my heart. It's a life- long adventure and you learn so much every day, you'll never get bored.
I think people with photography in their hearts find photography and they immediately get drawn to it. It's something that's in your blood, I really can't explain.



'I was drawn to photography because I realized I could capture someone's soul with my camera'

8. What draws you to a particular model/subject? What do you look for in a model/subject?

I like faces with expressions- I know I can capture a story that the model had. I absolutely dislike it when models change their faces in order to fit in and look simple and plain. I always look for expression in models, for stories and secrets untold that I can show through their body language. I always look for models to be comfortable and feel confident also, but a vulnerable looking model will be part of a very emotive photograph. 
For subjects, I look for lighting. I'm a sucker for side lighting, it draws me into it and I love shooting subjects with their faces half lit or the sun behind them, bringing in rainbow-colored sun rays. It's such a delight!



'It's a life- long adventure and you learn so much every day, you'll never get bored'

9. Who are some other photographers you admire?

Karrah Kobus, Nirrimi Firebrace, Mexico Rosel, Laura Kok, Nikolas Brummer, Rebekah Kauffman, Alexandra Sophie, Rosie Hardy, Sandy Honig, Natalie Kucken and many many more. They're all filled across the web, shining with their beautiful photographs and I can't help but admire their work greatly- they deserve to be loved by many.




'You have to be confident, it's incredibly important'

10. What is your best tip to taking a striking photo?

Don't be afraid and feel the role you're playing in the photograph. If it's a self-portrait, strike a pose, it doesn't have to be dangerous or scary or strange- it can be simple yet your eyes have to show the emotion you feel. If you're shooting someone else or a subject, put in some lighting, experiment, make crazy things that you wouldn't usually do. You have to be confident, it's incredibly important.


11. Your photos seem to incorporate your surroundings and the elements, is this a big part of your style?

Definitely. Everything I express in my photographs is an important part, every little detail- it may be a scratch on the wall, or something lying on the corner. 
I love natural surroundings and always try to include them in every picture, I feel that the viewer has every right to see where the photograph was taken.


12. What is your favourite photo taken by another photographer? (Link and describe why)

The girl seems to remind me of myself- not the appearance, but the feeling of it all. I love how there are leaves surrounding the girl and making the room so magical. It just shows that a simple place can be made magical, just with the help of imagination. I have no idea how Anka made the photograph, either with photo manipulation or natural props, but I admire her and especially this photograph for the simplicity that makes my eyes melt from such beauty.

13. What is your favourite photo you have taken? 

 


The main reason I like this photograph most is because I never expected to like it in the first place. I edited out of sheer boredom and yet it turned out to be my favourite from my whole collection. I feel that it has taught me a lot- not to judge a picture beforehand, but to wait and even try editing the pictures I dislike most. Oh yes, and I like the similar contrast of the flowers and my eyes!


14. What are some of your favourite films, books and musicians?

I absolutely love 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'- I have loved the actors in the movie and how it was set. I watched it as a young girl and being naive, thought I could find my own chocolate factory and eat as much as I wanted there. It gives good childhood memories, I just admire the director for making it! I also like 'Pan's Labyrinth', 'Coraline', and 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'.
As for books, it's hard to choose! (I read endlessly and too much). My absolute favourites are- 'The Book Thief', by Markus Zusak and 'The Book of Tomorrow' by Cecelia Ahern.
Now as far as music goes, I love Angus and Julia Stone and Russian Red!


15. What has been your biggest achievement so far with your photography?

Some various magazine features, and of course the post on a website that told many that I was one of the Top 25 Photographers on Flickr worth following. It was a huge achievement and I still feel proud about it.
But to be honest, my biggest achievement in photography was when my parents looked at my photographs and approved. From then on I was so motivated that till now no-one can stop me from shooting.





16. Do you think it’s hard to be original in photography? How do you keep your ideas original and fresh?

If you refuse to go with the crowd and stand up for what emotions you believe in, I promise it will never be hard to be original in photography. You'll be able to sit for hours writing out ideas as soon as this inner fire will explode in you- it'll happen often, in the most unexpected times. 
I keep my ideas fresh by reading new books every few weeks, travelling to new places, and meeting new people. You have to find new things in order to feel refreshed- your work will determine who you are.



'If you refuse to go with the crowd and stand up for what emotions you believe in, I promise it will never be hard to be original in photography'

17. Which photographer do you think I should interview next and why?

Alexandra Sophie; for her bright mind and happy thoughts. (Love her and her photographs too much!)

Between Worlds
Alexandra Sophie

18. Do you often change a lot of the original photo in Photoshop? 

Not at all- I take less than an hour to edit photographs unless the models I'm shooting request otherwise! Natural photography is a part of me, I don't want it to lack in my photographs.



'I always try to add my own touch of color that will show that the photographs are mine'

19. Do you think you have an original style that is you own?

I hope so! I mean it won't be hard to determine which photographs are mine because many of them are self-portraits, yet concerning those with my models, I always try to add my own touch of color that will show that the photographs are mine. My black and white photographs in particular have this shade of green tint to them, so I think I do have my own original style!





20. Do you prefer studio or location?

Location! Although I'd love to shoot in a studio one day. It'll be nice for a while, to have test shoots and requested ones also, but I  have a soft spot for location. You can't grow trees and blossoms in a studio, and neither can you put in birds unless you photoshop them in. So definitely location!


21. If you could photograph any person alive or dead who would it be and why?

Taylor Swift. Her beauty is mesmerizing and I would love to collaborate with her someday and shoot her beautiful features! She seems like the type of girl who can show her emotions and I would've made a whole story series with her. (Dreams come true!)


22. Give us the skinny, what's the next project you've got coming up?

No promises here- I'm thinking of starting either a 365 project (again!) or a 52 week one. I'm also hoping to upgrade my camera soon, which means I'll be able to finally start filming!


23. Which actor would play you in the film of your life?

Saoirse Ronan; no doubt!





'I can only remember wanting to be a photographer, nobody else other than that. I still do now, and I'm so proud of that!'

24. What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid?

At my youngest years (of all that I remember), I wanted to be, like any other child probably, a famous actress/singer who performed every day. From about the ages of 5 to 7 I was confident in the fact that I was to become a teacher when I would become an adult. As I got older this wanting turned into something else- I wanted to become a doctor and had my own little set of 'doctor tool toys'. After that I can only remember wanting to be a photographer, nobody else other than that. I still do now, and I'm so proud of that!



Thank you so much Taya, you and your mind is so beautiful :)

Check out more of Taya on her Flickr and her Deviant Art 

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Her photo's are wonderful. I love that she keeps her photo's natural! Wonderful :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her photography, real inspiration. And great interview :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. her photos are so beautiful! i love your blog, im following you now :)

    ReplyDelete