Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feature Interview - 365 Days: Sarah Ann Loreth


Day One

1. Fill me in on your background, where are you from and how did you get in to photography?

I am a 24 year old from New Hampshire, US and I am still afraid of the dark. I started photography a year ago and it has absolutely been the best and most challenging year of my life. I spend a lot of time in the woods and my favorite hobby is climbing things.


Day twentyone

2. What made you decide to start a 365?

I guess I chose a 365 because I saw so much potential for growth from previous 365ers and I hoped I'd be able to grow in the same way. I just didn't realize how big of a commitment it would be. And how much I'd really learn by practicing everyday.


Day thirty

3. What is your process when taking your 365 from getting ideas to editing?

When I have an inkling of an idea I write it down immediately in my notebook because I tend to forget. My best ideas come to me in that in between stage of sleep and awake where I let my mind wander.

From shooting and editing the whole process could take anywhere from four hours to eight, depending on how extravagant the concept. Makes for a long day some days.


Day thirtytwo

4. What are your tools of the trade?

I use a Canon 5d Mark ii with a 50mm 1.2.


Day fourty

5.Why do you think people are drawn to starting and following 365's?

I think the appeal of the 365 is the structure to practice every day and the potential for growth. I feel most productive on a deadline, being an avid procrastinator I like the rules. It's also nice to have feedback and critique on a daily basis. It helps me grow. I think people are so drawn to following them because of the level of difficulty of the project. It's not something everyone can do, so it's almost admirable. And it's great to see new work from your favorite artists on a daily basis.


Day fourtyfive

6. What is your least favourate 365 shot you've taken so far and why?

My least favorite shot would be day 55, which is now private on my stream. It was me, hanging from wall in some very odd Spiderman kind of way. It just wasn't my best and it never really felt like me. I have a lot of shots I dislike, for whatever reason. That's the downfall of a 365. You aren't going to produce your best work every day. It's impossible. But it's best to learn from your mistakes.


Day fourtysix

7.What is your favourate 365 shot you've taken so far and why?

Absolutely day 127. I love a good fog in photos and it took a lot to accomplish that particular one. It was cold, rainy, and the fence was slippery. I keep falling off the top of the darn thing.


Day one hundred and twentyseven

8. What is your favourite 365 shot taken by another photographer?

I am in love with her childlike spirit and ability to produce poignant thought provoking images. And that shot is just so cool.

Dust in the Wind
Day two hundred and eightythree by Lissy Elle

9. What are some of your favourate things :)?

I try to live simply and enjoy the little things. I like daffodils, spaghetti O's with hotdogs, sleeping, reading, hugs, kisses, snuggling. I like going for walks and toe socks.


Day fourtynine

10. What is your best tip to taking a striking photo?

I would say, not be afraid to try new things. Experiment and you may be pleasantly surprised by what you find. Don't be afraid to take life threatening risks and convey a story.


Day fiftysix

11. Your 365 seem to incorporate your surroundings and the elements, is this a big part of your style?

It's more of a convenience things, I suppose. However, I do love the idea of the natural. It's so comforting to me to be surrounded by nature. It feels like home to me.


Day sixtytwo

12. What do you do when you feel like giving it all up?

Well, mostly I sulk for a while, then question every thing I ever produced. Then I take a break. The project does get overwhelming and it does so often. It's impossible to be brilliant every day. And it does get exhausting because I do have a full time job and life. I find myself editing late into the night most nights, just to get it done. I guess it's best to keep shooting. This too shall pass.


Day seventytwo

13. Who's 365 has been the most inspiring to you?

I have two actually. Alex Stoddard and Lissy Elle. Alex has the ability to left my mind blown with his drive and originality. You can really tell her puts every bit of himself into his photos. It's admirable. And Lissy, I'm in love with her view on life and spirit. She is pure magic.


Day seventythree

14. What are some of your favourite films, books and musicians?

When I am lacking inspiration I turn to Anne Sexton and E.E. Cummings. They bring me through tough periods. As for movies I am so in love with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter series.

I listen to Adele, Abba, and Lady Gaga most often when editing :)

15. What has been your biggest achievement so far with your photography and 365?

I'm gotten some features and that has been so amazing. It warms my heart to know that people have seen my work and like it enough to show the rest of the world. I am thankful for every view, comment, kind word, and critique that people have taken the time to write. But my biggest achievement I think was signing on with a stock agency. It's comforting I guess to think perhaps one day I can get rid of my full time job and focus on photography. I think I'm getting there.


Day one hundred and four

16. Do you think it’s hard to be original within the 365 project? How do you keep your ideas original and fresh?

It's incredibly hard. Doing a 365, it's practically impossible to have a new idea every day. You will often find yourself playing off ideas you've already created of stick to those old safe photography cliches. I think it's best to put a twist on things, make an idea your own and absolutely try new things.

Susie Homemaker goes back to nature.
Day one hundred and thirteen

17. Which 365 shot was the most difficult to capture?

Day 108. That was hands down the most difficult. I was horrified to make the handmade torch with a light and bug spray. The whole time I kept saying to myself, "please don't explode in my face. Please don't explode in my face."


Day one hundred and eight

18. Do you often change a lot of the original photo in Photoshop?

Well, I'm under the premise of creating whatever I can outside of Photoshop I will because I feel it just looks more natural. With that being said, it really depends on the concept. But most pictures I simply composite to add space and change up the colors.


Day one hundred and twentytwo

19. Do you think you have an original style that is you own?

I feel like perhaps I am on my way to developing my own style. I guess a style is not something you find. It's something you develop through trial and error and finding what works for you. I guess what I'm getting at is, I wish I had a more distinct style. But I would hate to feel typecast into it. I want my photos to feel surreal without over processing and a ton of Photoshop work. I want there to be subtle magic.


Day one hundred and twentythree

20. What is your favourate time of year to take photos?

Summer I think is pretty nice. I have a hard time staying motivated in the cold New England winters, regardless of how beautiful the snow is. And the ticks come out in full force in the Spring. The full body checks get hold. I'd say, I find Summer most pleasant.


Day one hundred and twentynine

21. If you could photograph any person alive or dead who would it be and why?

I would love to photograph Anne Sexton. She was so insane and tortured and charismatic. I feel like her eyes would tell a story. And probably Lady Gaga because she is just so interesting.


Day one hundred and thirty

22. Give us the skinny, what's the next big project you've got coming up?

Mostly, I'm trying my darnedest not to epic fail my 365 :)


Day one hundred and thirtytwo

23. Which actor would play you in the film of your life?

I would love to be played by Rachel Weisz, Meryl Streep, or Jodi Foster. I love their ability to portray a quiet strength and resolve.


Day one hundred and fourtyseven

24. What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid?

I always wanted to be an artist. I love to create. I toyed with the idea of being a writer but of my life I wanted to be a librarian.

Sylvia.
Day one hundred and sixytwo

Thank you so much Sarah :)

With two hundred and sixtytwo days left, i think we have a huge amount to look forward to :)

Please step on over to Sarah's Flickr for more of her amazing work and to follow her journey!
xx

1 comment:

  1. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet!
    Pendant Lights

    ReplyDelete